I want to become a certified peer. What are the eligibility requirements?
· Individuals must be age 18 or older with a diagnosis of a mental illness and current or prior use of mental health services. A desire to use her/his experiences to help others with their recovery is also required.
· Individuals must be willing to publicly identify as a person living with a mental illness in order to model the reality of recovery.
· Individuals must have a high school diploma or have completed a G.E.D
· Individuals must be currently working or volunteering as an MHPS or RSPS (or actively looking for opportunities)
What are the steps for peers to become certified to bill Medicaid?
Here’s the process for individuals to become certified to bill Medicaid for peer support. The steps must be completed in order.
1. Complete online self-assessment and orientation
2. Fill out, save, and print the attestation that you completed the self-assessment and orientation
4. Complete the core peer services training
5. Complete the SUD Recovery Coach or Mental Health Peer Training
6. Apply for certification with either the Texas Certification Board or Wales Education Services
7. Complete 250 hours initial supervised work experience in 6 months
8. Receive first 2-year certification
9. Additionally, you’ll need 20 CEUs in that 2-year certification period. Be sure to check out TAPP’s endorsement trainings coming soon to the calendar.
Is the Core training offered in person?
At this time, the class is held via a live webinar format. The class is interactive, and you can choose from an all-day Saturday class or 1.5 hour class Monday-Friday. The class is $65 and has a knowledge assessment at the end. Please refer to the calendar for class dates and times.
I took my Core Training with another organization. Can I still apply to the specialized training with TAPP?
Yes. As long as you have verification that you took the training with a certified organization and passed the knowledge assessment.
What’s the acceptance process for the trainings?
Every application is carefully reviewed and scored by TAPP staff according to the rubric set forth by HHSC. It’s a competitive process and folks can apply more than once.
How long is the Specialized Certification Training?
The training is five (5) days and it goes Monday through Friday for a total of 40 hours.
Where is the training held?
Trainings are held in cities all over Texas. Please refer to the calendar for dates. For an agency or organization looking for private training, please email us at email@example.com for more information.
What is the cost of the training? What does the fee cover?
The cost of the registration fee is $600 a person and it includes the training, all the pre and post materials, and lunch. Additionally, participants can receive free mentoring if they don’t pass the exam the first time. Email us for more information. Payments for the training are made online. Rates are subject to change.
What about hotel accommodations?
Currently, participants are responsible for securing their own travel to and from the training as well as accommodations.
Do you offer scholarships?
Yes, we do! Participants that are selected to attend the training can apply for TAPP scholarships.
Is there a knowledge assessment?
Yes. The knowledge assessment will be given after the training Friday afternoon. You’ll need a passing score of 70% to qualify for certification. The knowledge assessment is between one and two hours long, though it varies slightly. You’ll receive an email of pass/no pass about two weeks after the assessment date.
What if I don’t pass the knowledge assessment?
You can retake it once more the next time the training is offered (you would only need to come in for the assessment portion of the training.) Additionally, TAPP offers free coaching for those who would like that support. We want you to be successful!
Do Certified Mental Health Peer Specialists have to follow a Code of Ethics? Yes! Like many other helping professions, we have a code of ethics as well as several other values and principles that guide us in our work. Those can be found HERE.
Copyright © 2018 TAPP - All Rights Reserved.